Walking Tour of Historic District
Expiration: 365 days after purchase
Take a walk back in time
Fredericksburg was founded May 8, 1846, by 120 German immigrants under the auspices of the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas.
The Commissioner General of the Society, also known as the “Adelsverein,” was Baron Ottfried Hans von Meusebach, a German nobleman who took the name of John O. Meusebach once settled in Fredericksburg. The historic treaty he made with the Comanches on the San Saba River in 1847 was hailed statewide as the major effort in bringing about peaceful relations with the Native Americans on the frontier.
Fredericksburg derived its name from a German nobleman, Prince Frederick of Prussia, who was the highest ranking member of the “Adelsverein.” This society sponsored the colonization of the Fisher-Miller Grant in Central Texas.
Fredericksburg’s downtown, a National Historic District since 1970, boasts over 700 historically significant structures. These 30 highlighted sites offer a glimpse into Fredericksburg’s story and architectural evolution. Explore this rich history in about two hours, covering 4.5 miles for a journey through the town’s heritage.
Included Venues
See locations on an interactive map.
Admission Fee (adaptive use – National Museum of the Pacific War) 328 E. Main St.
Charles Henry Nimitz, Sr. purchased this property in 1855 and by 1860 the Nimitz Hotel was hosting stagecoach travelers and soon became a center for community activities. The steamboat façade was added in the 1870s when the hotel was expanded. Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz of World War II fame spent time in his grandfather’s hotel and hence the museum is located here today.
(adaptive use – retail) 258 E. Main St.
Constructed by Charles F. Priess of limestone from a quarry off Bear Mountain Road, this building began with a general merchandise and hardware store on the ground floor and living quarters upstairs. In 1938, the building was expanded and converted into a hospital by Dr. Victor Keidel. Today, the structure is once again utilized for retail and restaurant space.
(original use re-established) 242 E. Main St.
One of the more distinctive buildings on Main Street, the White Elephant Saloon was built by John W. Kleck. Three double doors provided entry to the saloon, with the bar along the west side of the structure. The upper room of a two-story frame addition at the back of the building was the site of gambling involving higher stakes than those allowed in the main saloon.
(adaptive use – retail) 120 E. Main St. Temple
D. Smith, born in Virginia, commissioned Alfred Giles to build the Bank of Fredericksburg building, which reflects the Richardsonian Romanesque design. The first floor served as the bank, with the second floor devoted to Mr. Smith’s residence. The building served as a bank until 1936
(reproduction – museum operated by Gillespie County Historical Society) 100 block of W. Main St. – Marktplatz
The original Vereins Kirche (society church as it is translated) was the first public building in the settlement and was located in the middle of San Saba Street, which was renamed Main Street. The eight-sided structure was to serve as town hall for meetings, as a schoolhouse, as a lookout for protection against the Native Americans and as a church for all faiths. The original structure was removed following the town’s golden jubilee in 1897. The reproduction was constructed in 1935 and completely refurbished in 2020 with exhibits to tell the story of this iconic Fredericksburg structure.
(original use continues) 216 W. Main St.
Constructed in 1907 by Charles Schwarz, this limestone commercial building housed a general merchandise and dry goods store on the ground floor and living quarters for the Schwarz family on the second floor.
(adaptive use – guesthouse and retail) 320 W. Main St.
Although no dates are known, based on construction methods this complex of the main building and log cabin date back to the earliest days of Fredericksburg, serving as a saloon, butcher shop and beer distributorship through the years. Rudolph’s Saloon advertised in the 1910 Gillespie County Fair catalog that they sold “Ice Cold Pabst and City Beer, Soda and Mineral Water, Cigars, Etc.”
(original use continues) 426 W. Main St.
The oldest Lutheran church in the Texas Hill Country, the congregation was founded by six faithful Lutheran families in 1852. In 1853, the congregation decided to build a rock church—50 feet long, 36 feet wide and 18 feet high. The members hewed wood by hand and quarried the limestone. Beautiful stained glass windows in the nave symbolize the Christian church year.
(original use continues) 110 N. Bowie St.
Designed by the noted English architect Alfred Giles who came to Texas in 1873, this home was built by William Bierschwale, who served as Gillespie County Clerk from 1898 to 1906. Bierschwale also served as a representative to the State Legislature for 16 years.
(adaptive use – residential) 210 N. Bowie St.
Built by John Peter Tatsch, who was a German cabinetmaker and turner, the stone walls are almost two feet thick. Of particular note is the huge fireplace in the rear gallery kitchen—about 13 feet wide and 5.5 feet high. Detailed floor plans of this house were placed in the Library of Congress during the Texas Centennial in 1936 when outstanding landmarks were recognized.
(adaptive use – guesthouse) 418 W. Austin St.
In the 1880s, German immigrant Christian Vogel built the left half of this structure to house his family while in town for Saturday trading and Sunday church services. His son Amandus and wife Elizabeth added the right half and covered the expanded house with pressed tin (t
Admission Fee (on the grounds of the Pioneer Museum) 325 W. Main St.
This Sunday House was built in 1904 near the corner of W. San Antonio and S. Cherry Streets by Mr. and Mrs. August Weber. It was moved to the grounds of the Pioneer Museum in 1972, and the small house is furnished in much the same style as when the Webers used it. Many of the original Sunday Houses were enlarged and remodeled over the years, so this property offers an authentic glimpse of a Sunday House.
Admission Fee (on the grounds of the Pioneer Museum) 325 W. Main St.
Now a part of the Pioneer Museum, the four front rooms were built in 1849 by German settler Henry Kammlah I, with the smokehouse and rooms at rear added in 1875. A general store was operated in the front room from 1875 to 1924.
(adaptive use – retail) 215B W. Main St.
This building was constructed shortly after the Civil War on a townlot grant of the German Emigration Company. Bought in 1868 by Heinrich Ochs, pioneer school teacher, and owned by the family for 61 years. Intriguing interior space that was remodeled by Mr. & Mrs. Milton Moseley in early 1960s.
(adaptive use – Pioneer Memorial Library) 115 W. Main St.
Erected in 1881–1882, this was the second courthouse in Gillespie County and used until 1939. Designed by Alfred Giles, the native stone structure is in fine balance and symmetry. Mr. and Mrs. Eugene McDermott provided the funds to restore the building as a library in 1966–67.
(adaptive use – retail) 123 E. Main St.
Frank van der Stucken, a native of Antwerp, Belgium, came to Texas at age 15 in the company of Henri Castro, French colonizer. He married Sophie Schoenewolf. Their son, Frank Valentin van der Stucken, was born in this house on October 15, 1858. The younger van der Stucken studied with Advard Grieg and Carl Reinecke in Leipzig. He became a noted American composer, director of the Arion Maennerchor in New York City and conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony.
(original use continues) 205 E. Main St.
Made of hand-hewn limestone, this structure was the home of John and Bertha Schandua. They lived upstairs and John’s hardware store was downstairs. Hardware businesses were operated here until 1972. The original use of building continues with retail downstairs and residential use upstairs.
(adaptive use – guesthouse) 106 S. Lincoln St.
This home was built in the 1860s by German stonemason Lorenz Schmidt, who helped build the Vereins Kirche. The home was enlarged to two floors in 1902 by Jacob Gold, Sr., a local business leader and founder of the Rheingold community in eastern Gillespie County. The home’s material and design reflect influences of the early German settlers.
(original use continues) 107 S. Lincoln St.
Gillespie County native William Rausch, a stonemason and carpenter by trade, probably did much of the construction himself. This German vernacular limestone structure features a central gable with jig-cut decorative trim. The first home on this site, belonging to Adoph Lungkwitz, was torn down to make room for this house.
(original use continues) 113 E. San Antonio St.
This congregation traces its origins to the first Protestant services held in Fredericksburg in 1846 by the Rev. Henry Basse. Members worshiped at the old Vereins Kirche until this building was dedicated in 1893. The tower houses an original bell from the Vereins Kirche. Congregation became Holy Ghost Lutheran Church in 1948–49.
roperty of Gillespie County) 117 W. San Antonio St.
This stone structure, constructed in 1885, housed a holding area and living quarters for the jailer on the ground floor and steel-clad cells on the second floor. The building was used as a county jail facility until 1939.
(original use continues) 306 W. San Antonio St.
Construction of this church began in 1860 by the parishioners. The church is built in cruciform, typical of early Christian churches. The 12 Gothic arched windows, commemorating the 12 apostles, originally had clear glazed glass, which was replaced with blue cathedral glass.
(original use continues) 306 W. San Antonio St.
Although completed in 1908, this church is still referred to by many local residents as “the new church.” Known as one of the “painted churches” of Texas, St. Mary’s is adorned with beautiful stained glass and stenciling and is an outstanding example of Gothic architecture.
(adaptive use – guesthouse) 406 W. San Antonio St.
Farmers by occupation, the Metzger family built this little house to use on the weekends when they came to town for shopping and attending church. The home has been in the family for over a century and is currently rented out as a guesthouse. Two other Sunday Houses are adjacent to this one.
(adaptive use – church) 605 W. Creek St.
One of the earliest homes in Fredericksburg, built by German settler Peter Walter of “fachwerk” construction in 1846. He owned and farmed surrounding land while plying his trade of wagoner to Fort McKavett. House was bought by St. Barnabas mission parish in 1952. After construction of new church in 1964, this structure serves as meditation chapel.
413 W. Creek St. (currently under renovation – private)
Frederic Kuenemann and his family sailed from Bremen, Germany in September 1845. They arrived in the newly settled Fredericksburg in 1846. In 1866, Kuenemann bought the “fachwerk” or half-timbered dwelling which comprised the ground floor of the house, probably built in 1847 by Heinrich Schupp. The frame of heavy timbers and diagonal bracing filled with fieldstone is classic example of European medieval building method. By the 1880s, a kitchen, a second floor with double gallery and Victorian gingerbread trim had been added. Wonderful example of evolution of building styles in Fredericksburg.
213 W. Creek St.
One of the oldest structures in Fredericksburg, this log cabin was built by communal effort for the family of Friedrich Pape in 1846. Mrs. Pape was ailing, and they had one daughter, Dorothea, who later became the wife of Carl Hilmar Guenther, founder of Pioneer Flour Mills in San Antonio, one of Texas’ oldest business firms. The post oak logs were cut nearby and the first roof was probably thatched grass.
(adaptive use – restaurant) 206 and 210 S. Adams St.
The older of these two houses is the one at 206 S. Adams and belonged to Peter Bonn who was born in Hanover, Germany. Bonn did not side with the Union or the Confederate cause during the Civil War and hence was targeted by the “Haengerbande” (band of hangman). His son, Adolph Bonn, built the house at 210 S. Adams around 1905.
(adaptive use – retail) 109 N. Adams St.
This commercial building was constructed in 1898 for use as a farm implement shop by Frederick William Arhelger. Built of quarried limestone with a front ramp and double doors, it was designed to accommodate wagons and large farm equipment.
(property of Gillespie County Historical Society) 111 E. Austin St.
An example of an early pioneer home, the Schandua House has had very little modification done, with no electricity or plumbing even today. Built before 1880, this house belonged to John and Bertha Schandua.